The warm weather feels wonderful! Spring is in the air and this is a great time to do some cleaning.
There are 5 main cleansing organs in the body: bowels, kidneys, liver, lungs and the skin. When we plan to detox the body, there is a system and order that we should follow. The first organ that should be cleansed are the bowels. When these are in good working order, then we can start detoxing the liver. The kidneys, skin, and lungs use a different avenue, so we will not deal with them in this article.
Our liver is the largest solid organ in our body, and it does more jobs than any other organ. In fact, science doesn’t even know all that it does. What we do know is that it creates glucose, which gives us energy. It also makes enzymes, creates hormones, breaks down fat, kills bacteria and virus, synthesizes protein, and stores immune cells and vitamins.
The liver is the ultimate detoxification organ in our body. Everything we eat and drink is digested and travels to the liver first, before entering our blood stream. Our liver produces enzymes and other chemicals that neutralize all the harmful and toxic substances in our food and water. A healthy liver contains millions of immune cells called macrophages which literally kill and eat parasites, bacteria, virus, fungus, poison, toxin, or chemicals they come in contact with.
Our liver has a big effect on our overall health. Medically speaking, any serious disease of the liver is usually terminal. In fact, many herbalists and naturopaths claim that a person must first develop a malfunctioning or weak liver before getting cancer. The reverse of this can be true as well!! Keep your liver strong and working, and you’ll avoid many health problems.
In our toxic culture, everyone needs to cleanse their liver at least once a year. Spring is the best time to do this, as it is the natural time when the liver detoxes. Here are a few ways you can detox your liver:
- Liver Tincture: An easy way to clean the liver is to take Herbs4You Liver Tincture.
For healthy people, one 2 oz. bottle is usually enough. Those with chronic health problems, or those who have been exposed to chemicals should do a more thorough liver cleanse.
- Detox Tea: A great tea that is a whole body detox. Drink 2- 3 cups a day, 6 days a week, for a month or a little longer.
- Liver Flush: There are different liver flushes that get stones out of the liver and really clean it out. Ask us for more information.
- Drink a Good Morning Liver Tonic. See below
- Eat Your Greens – Spring is a time for greens, and greens help our liver. Mild-tasting greens: Nettle, spinach, lettuce, sorrel, yellow dock & violet leaves, alfalfa, wheat and barley grass. These can be blended in with a fruit smoothie. Stronger tasting greens: Kale, collards, dandelion, thistle, mustards, watercress, nasturnums are good with a meal.
Keeping your liver healthy, will benefit your whole body and help you avoid sickness. The liver formula and Detox tea are on sale through May.
We’re Here to Help YOU!
Amy Willis, MH, CN
About the Author
Amy Willis M.H.